11 October 2014

Reflections on the Global Cardboard Challenge



Well, we did it! Yesterday afternoon, our S.T.E.M. students had an exhibition of their cardboard creations. We had several parents visit, in addition to about twenty students from grades K-5. All together, there were about 85 people in the library, gathered together to celebrate our students' creativity. 

I think I can speak for the students when I say that we're already looking forward to next year! We had a blast and I know next year will be even better because we've all learned so much during the past three weeks. Next year, I'll put much more effort into planning our event. I'd like to think of more organized way to showcase the students' work; yesterday was fun, but a bit chaotic. I'm also considering setting some size limitations. I hate to stifle creativity, but storing projects from forty-five students for a span of three weeks was ... challenging. I'd also start way earlier when it comes to securing donations. We ended up with a lot of cardboard, more than we needed really. But we could have used way more tape. In fact, I'll probably start working on gathering supplies for next year right now. Next year, the students will have the advantage of experience; I can't wait to see what they come up with!

Some of the highlights from this year's creations were a hockey table, a pinball machine, an ATM, two robot costumes, and a red carpet. There were lots of games, moving parts, ticket dispensers, and even prizes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment