11 September 2014

Questions from a Cardboard Challenge Newbie

It's been several years since I first heard about Caine's Arcade and the Global Cardboard Challenge from my good friend and coworker, Andy Plemmons. But this is my first year actually participating, in part because a truckload of cardboard fell into my lap and also because I have sort of a perfect scenario in terms of students and time. 

This is our first full year of having a S.T.E.M. class during our ELT time. I'll be seeing a group of about sixty 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students several times a week. We kick off our S.T.E.M. class this coming week and we're going to start by taking part in the Global Cardboard Challenge. This is also our first year of students taking their laptops home, so we've just acquired hundreds of cases, and therefore hundreds of cardboard boxes. How could I not join in the fun? 

But now that the first day is quickly approaching, I'm suddenly full of questions. 
  1. What sort of supplies do I need to have for my students other than a mountain of cardboard?
  2. Should I have them submit ideas before they start working? 
  3. How much cardboard should I give each student? 
  4. Should I provide them with guidance (beyond watching Caine's Arcade)? OR Should I just let them run free?
  5. What other questions should I be worried about?

No comments:

Post a Comment