29 August 2013

Nonfiction, Reorganized

I got this tweet in response to my first blog post about our transition away from the Dewey Decimal System.


tweet from @librariancheryl

First, I just want to say that I love Twitter. I first started using it just for fun, but it's become a great PLN! I love connecting with other librarians to talk about all things library. Plus, I've seen so many good ideas I could borrow for my library! Can't recommend joining the Twitterverse enough. If you're not tweeting yet, you don't know what you're missing!

Here's a list, in order, of the shelves in our nonfiction section:
  • General Interest
  • Religion & Mythology 
  • Sports and Recreation   
  • Fun & Games
  • Arts & Crafts 
  • Food & Cooking
  • Holidays & Celebrations 
  • Family/Community
  • Buildings
  • Grammar
  • Foreign Language
  • Transportation 
  • People in Uniforms
  • U.S. Gov't
  • Economics
  • Travel
  • Georgia
  • African American Interest
  • History
  • Math
  • Space
  • General Nature
  • Weather
  • Seasons
  • Land Habitats
  • Farming
  • Conservation
  • Mountains, Caves, & Rocks   
  • Dinosaurs
  • Water Habitats   
  • Water Science   
  • Plants
  • Health
  • Science Experiments  
  • Inventions         
  • Simple Tools
  • Forces
  • Energy
  • Matter
  • Measurements
  • General Animals
  • Pets 
  • Insects
  • Fish & Other Sea Creatures
  • Birds
  • Reptiles & Amphibians
  • Mammals
As you can see in the pictures below, some shelves were split in half since there weren't enough books to fill the whole shelf.




The two pictures below show a closer look at our nonfiction shelves. I tried to leave an area for a front facing book on each shelf. Sometimes it was impossible, but most had room.


In the photo below, you can see the genre stickers we added to the books. I think I'll probably put a sticker on the shelf as well, to make it as easy as possible for volunteers to help me re-shelf books. I also left the Dewey stickers on the book, so if we ever decide to reverse course, it won't be a big pain in the neck.


 I also created some special sections away from our nonfiction area: Poetry, Folktales & Fairy Tales, Graphic Novels, and Español. For the Folktales & Fairy Tales section (aka 398s), I took the majority of these books out and put them in our picture book section. That was something I thought long and hard about and I'm still not 100% sure I like the decision. The remaining Folk Tales and Fairy Tales are primarily collections of multiple stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment